Moe Gherzi was the first driver of the Garuti brothers’ #14. In 1956 Richie Garuti brought Ed into the team as a second driver, in their new #28. A year later Moe left the team, leaving Ed to be their only driver, which he continued to be until the end of 1958 when he left to drive his own car. Ed also drove for the Garutis occasionally in 1964 and 1969 and regularly in 1970.
1963 (approx) – Car owner Richie Garuti is on the right. Photo from Jojo Farone via Racingthroughtime.com
The red 28 is all the way at the back.
Another Garuti car, from about 1965. Photo by Shany, from Jojo Farone via Racingthroughtime.com.
This “cut-down” was one of the earliest Garuti cars, with Moe Gherzi behind the wheel here. Photo by Shany, from the Carolyn Grey Collection via Racingthroughtime.com.
This was another Garuti car that Ed drove. Photo by John Grady, from Racingthroughtime.com.
A Garuti car also raced by Ed. Photo by Shany, from James Scott Haag Collection via Racingthroughtime.com.
Eastern States Exposition – Ray Garuti is second-from-left, Richie Garuti is in white shirt lying on his side and looking back at camera. Photo was taken by John Grady and provided by Jojo Farone to Racingthroughtime.com.
Richie is on the left, Moe Gherzi in helmet. Photo from Racingthroughtime.com.
The Garuti brothers’ cars, #14 and #28, were driven by Ed on numerous occasions, from 1955 until 1970. (Click on image to open)
This is one of the earlier of the many #14s built and run by Ray (L) and Richie (R) Garuti. Driver Moe Gherzi stands in the middle. Photo from Farone Collection, via Racingthroughtime.
Photo by Shany, from the Tom Ormsby Collection via Rachingthroughtime.com.
Smokey Boutwell behind the wheel.
Driver Smokey Boutwell on the left.
A Ray and Richie Garuti car. Photo by Pete Stoll.
That is Moe Gherzi’s #76 on the left.
A Ray and Richie Garuti car.
Richie is on the right in the white t-shirt. I believe this photo was taken in 1969, when Smokey Boutwell was the regular driver of the #14. Eddie became its regular driver in 1970. Photo via Glen Tavares, from the R. A. Silvia collection.